RSS = Rocket Singh Sells
Back in the 70’s a certain movie called Trishul showcased corporate politics at it s best,with a real-estate back drop.Powerful acting,and strong script carried the film to greatness.
“Rocket Singh -Salesman of the year” is a movie that reminded me of a similar effort. IMHO there are three pillars of a great movie – Script,Casting,and Editing, yes we can add many more depending on the movie genre, but these facts are still applicable irrespective of the genre.RSSOTY scores in the two departments -script and casting.editing is something that might have needed a little more attention.
Having said that creative freedom is the directors liberty…and somewhere deep inside a critic or reviewer there is a hidden director who wants to see the movie done his way…but getting down to actually doing it,as in making a movie, is not everyones ball game.So with that disclaimer, I’ll try to highlight some changes that I’d recommend for the movie – But since Shimit has focussed so much in the attention to detail,here are some really minimal fine tuning suggestions.
- Edit to make pace more even -seems fast in the first half and a bit sluggish in the second.
- Edit does not mean cutting important dialogue – it could also be some “filler” shots.
- HP’s harassment at work was a bit juvenile.most harassments are verbal sarcasms in reality.
- Mis-direction with a newbie is a bigger harassment.
- Use of the word “bastard is not usually heard in sales meetings” unless in jest.
- More local slangs are used, including but not restricted to the regular Fuck You.
- HP’s love interest was a bit odd.A middle class girl trying -to-fit-in character would have better suited.
- HP coming from a middle class background and mindset would have preferred someone similar.
- Supplier Lalwani’s character was abandoned towards the end.
- Inamdar character was dicey, a fired salesman now a big customer? What re the odds of that happening.?
- the boss Puri realization sequence was hammed.A little more silence,and exchange of emotions through the eyes.
- Besides,I kept getting distracted with the gap between his shaved upper lip and the artificial mustache.
- wanted to see RS go to each one of the parters after his victory to invite them back.[feel good factor]
- wanted to see boss Puri take a new approach in his sales meeting in the end.
I know if I ever made a movie,I d get so passionate about it that I ‘d miss out on some details, coz everything seems perfect and everything seems required.At that point I wonder how do some of the Hollywood movies,[the good ones] maintain a near flawless execution.The script is strong, casting is perfect and editing is wonderful.the characters blend into the frames so well.It s like someone is objectively reviewing the movie even before it is released.Some diverse,not in any order of preference,or genre,examples are –
- The Bridges Of Madison County
- Jerry Mcguire
- Few Good Men
- Reservation Road.
- Remembering the Titans
- When Nietzsche Wept
- The usual suspects
- American Beauty
- A Beautiful mind.
- Finding Neverland.
- As good as it gets.
So,in conclusion, Rocket Singh -the Salesman of the year is a movie worth a repeat watch.!